Warsaw, 29 July 1949. Member of the Main Commission for the Investigation of German Crimes in Poland, Norbert Szuman, interviewed the person named below as an unsworn witness. Having been advised of the criminal liability for making false declarations, the witness testified as follows:

Name and surname Urszula Chrzanowska, née Pałys
Date and place of birth 27 June 1908, Wola Skromowska
Parents’ names Jan Ariusz and Kamila, née Błocka
Father’s occupation blacksmith
Nationality and state affiliation Polish
Religious affiliation Roman Catholic
Education three grades of evening school
Occupation dressmaker
Place of residence Olszewska Street 8, flat 8, Warsaw
Criminal record none

When the Warsaw Uprising broke out I was in my house at Madalińskiego Street 19/21. On 1 August 1944 there were insurgents in our property, but they soon withdrew in the direction of Grażyny Street. Our house was not fired at and I saw no Germans. Things were calm at our place until the afternoon of 2 August 1944. At about 4.00 p.m. shrapnel hit the corner of our house, sowing confusion among the house residents and wounding a few. They began to run down into the shelter, that is, into the underground ditch connecting the florist’s with the hotbeds (the house owner, Jan Siniarski, was a gardener). Siniarski’s stable also began to burn. In a panic, I started taking my things down into the shelter. At that moment the Germans appeared in our property, but I don’t know what type of troops they were. Józef Fabisiak who lives at Belgijska Street 3, flat 6 will probably be able to provide information regarding this. The Germans ordered everyone to come out of the greenhouse. Using the second entrance I went into the shelter in order to find my mother and my daughter who had already taken refuge in the shelter. I couldn’t find them. The Germans killed on the spot everyone who had emerged from the shelter. Through the florist’s door which gave onto the garden, I saw what they were doing. I went back to the ditch and sat in the corner on the coal. From where I was I could hear the Germans throwing grenades all over the courtyard. After about forty minutes the shooting died down, and so did the steps in the courtyard. I believed the Germans had already left. I approached the exit stairs leading to the florist’s. The stairs were filled with a pile of dead bodies. The Germans threw those whom they had murdered into the florist’s. So I returned to the second entrance. There was another pile of dead bodies lying at the door. I began to search through the dead for my husband, mother and child. I didn’t realize that Germans had come up to me. One of them asked me in Polish – where are the bandits? When I told him that they themselves were bandits, he wanted to shoot me. But the second German standing next to him told me to go to the house at Grażyny Street 22. As it turned out, there were insurgents in the house adjoining Siniarski’s property where the Germans stayed until the evening of that day. They reappeared in this area a few times a day during the following week. Once, I saw them set fire to a pile of dead bodies. More than 20 people may have been killed during the execution carried out in Siniarski’s garden. The execution was witnessed by my husband, Marian Chrzanowski (he lives at Oleśnicka Street 8, flat 8), Rycaj, who works as a gardener at the Presidency of the Council of Ministers in Krakowskie Przedmieście Street and Stefania Łasińska (who lives at Padewska Street 20).

I stayed at Grażyny Street until the surrender of Mokotów, that is, until 27 September 1944. That day in the morning I went down the road marked out by the Germans to Służewiec, from where we were taken at night to Pruszków.

At this the report was concluded and read out.