16 February 1950, Warsaw. Judge Janina Skoczyńska, acting as a member of the Main Commission for the Investigation of German Crimes in Poland, interviewed the person named below, who testified as follows:

Name and surname Cecylia Skalska, née Rosłan
Date and place of birth 10 October 1902, Chylice near Warsaw
Parents’ names Józef and Anna, née Hakowska
Father’s occupation farmer
State affiliation and nationality Polish
Religious affiliation Catholic
Education 4 grades of elementary school
Occupation housewife
Place of residence Warsaw, Czackiego Street 3/5, flat 11
Criminal record none

At the moment when the Warsaw Uprising began, I was in the house at Czackiego Street 3/5. Throughout the first days of the Uprising our street was occupied by the insurgents. At the beginning of August people from Krakowskie Przedmieście Street were taken by the Germans to shield the tanks that had driven into Świętokrzyska Street. Because of heavy fire from the insurgents, the Germans – having failed to capture the barricade erected at the corner of Czackiego Street – had to withdraw. I heard that a few people whom the Germans had used as shields for the tanks were killed. I learned about the crime from my ten-year-old daughter Wanda, who at the moment of the outbreak of the Uprising had found herself by chance on Krakowskie Przedmieście Street and was unable to get back home. She wasn’t used to shield the tans, for the Germans allowed children to stay inside the apartments. My daughter was brought home by the insurgents after they recaptured the municipal headquarters (Krakowskie Przedmieście Street 1), where my daughter was staying. I haven’t heard of any other crimes committed by the Germans in this area.

In the evening of 8 September the insurgents withdrew from our house, and the following morning the Germans entered it. First they threw a grenade into the basement, but it did no harm to the people who were present inside. Then they ordered everyone to come out. We were allowed to take whatever we wanted. As far as I can remember, we left Czackiego Street in a group made up only of the people from our house. We reached Piłsudskiego Square, where there were more people from other houses and other streets.

The residents of the houses at Czackiego Street 4 and 9 had been staying in our basements and went with us.

At Piłsudskiego Square the Germans picked out my 14-year-old son. Escorted by three Germans, he was put in a car and taken away in the direction of Wola. So far my son hasn’t returned. We were escorted along Wierzbowa, Elektoralna, Chłodna and Wolska streets to a church in Wola, I don’t remember which one. The following day we were transported from the Western Railway Station to Pruszków.

After the Uprising I heard, I can’t remember whom from, that at Czackiego Street 4 the Germans had shot a few people and burned their bodies. But I have nothing more to add about this crime.

The graves in Czackiego Street were exhumed by the PCK (Polish Red Cross). They may have more detailed information about when the crime was committed and how many people were killed.

At this point the report was brought to a close and read out.