15 February 1950, Warsaw. Trainee Judge Irena Skonieczna, acting as a member of the Main Commission for the Investigation of German Crimes in Poland, interviewed the person named below, who testified as follows:

Name and surname Piotr Grzywacz
Date and place of birth 6 June 1897, Wysokie Koło, county of Kozienice
Parents’ names Wiktor and Maria, née Kęska
Father’s occupation Farmer
State affiliation and nationality Polish
Religious affiliation Catholic
Education 3 grades of elementary school
Occupation Farmer
Place of residence Warsaw, Wołodyjowskiego Street 39, flat 3
Criminal record None
Whe n the Warsaw Uprising broke out, I was in the house at Marszałkowska Street 111. Until

3 August 1944, things were calm in the area enclosed by Chmielna and Złota streets. There were no insurgents on the premises of our house. The nearest insurgent posts were located in the houses on Chmielna Street, on the side of the Railway Station. The Germans had taken up positions at the Railway Station and in Aleje Jerozolimskie. That day, at 11.00 a.m., a German armored car appeared in Marszałkowska Street and, driving in the direction of Złota Street, fired at the houses around. It stopped at the gate of no. 113. Eight Ukrainians, dressed in SS uniforms and commanded by a German, got out of the car. They entered the courtyard of house no. 113, but after a while left and moved in the direction of the gate at no. 111. Some residents of our house, about 17 in number, were in the basements, the rest were staying in their apartments. SS men, speaking in Polish, Russian and German, ordered the people to come out from their apartments and into the courtyard. However, some refused to obey the order. About 30 people came out. I was staying in the basement. Other people who were in the basement also wanted to come out. However, as we were approaching the stairs, one of the SS men threw a grenade into the staircase, making us turn back.

After a while we heard a burst of machine gun fire, preceded by the scream of one of the men standing in the courtyard, “Bandits! They are murdering us”! After carrying out the execution, the SS men ran out into Marszałkowska Street. I heard them calling for the armored car. The insurgents began to fire at the SS men from the “Metropol” hotel, and the latter withdrew into the courtyard of our house. The ensuing fighting lasted almost 24 hours. In the afternoon of the following day they surrendered. Two insurgents fell in the fighting.

Thirty-seven people, including men, women and children, were killed in the execution carried out on 3 August 1944.

I stayed in my house until the surrender. On 3 October I went to Ursus, from where I was deported to Germany.

Marcinkowski witnessed the execution of 3 August. His address is likely to be known to those who live in the house at the corner of Marszałkowska Street and Aleje Jerozolimskie.

At this point, the report was brought to a close and read out.