Warsaw, 13 December 1945. Investigating Judge Halina Wereńko heard the person named below as a witness. Having been advised of the criminal liability for making false declarations and of the significance of the oath, the witness was sworn and testified as follows:

Name and surname Eugenia Radzikowska
Place and date of birth 9 November 1901 in Warsaw
Parents’ names Zygmunt and Bronisława
Place of residence Warsaw, aleja 3 Maja 14, flat 67
Occupation Social Insurance office worker
Religious affiliation Roman Catholic
Criminal record none

In 1944, I lived with my husband, Antoni Godzisław, my mother and my son Jerzy at 6 Sierpnia Street 11, flat 17. On 6 May 1944 at 6.00 p.m., having returned from the office, my husband went to our allotment, located in Pole Mokotowskie near the District Military Hospital at Wawelska Street. He didn’t return home. At 6.20 p.m. I heard shooting from the direction of Pole Mokotowskie. At that time, Ms. Maria Jarosz (currently residing at Kielecka Street 21, flat 3) came to me and told me that something bad was happening in the allotments in Pole Mokotowskie and that I’d better not go there. She didn’t know that my husband was there at the time.

I immediately set off in the direction of Pole Mokotowskie. In aleja Piłsudskiego, 230 steps from Polna Street, on the right side when walking in the direction of aleja Niepodległości, I saw my husband lying in the street. He was already dead. Some Germans in green uniforms – I don’t know whether they were Gestapo men or soldiers – were standing next to him.

I don’t know the surnames of any of those Germans.

When I asked them why my husband had been killed, the soldiers yelled at me that my husband had been a bandit and that they had found weapons on him. At that moment, some 14 gendarmes arrived in a car, all armed with rozpylacze [sub-machine guns]. They approached the place where I was standing by the corpse of my husband. Then I went home.

I didn’t see any other corpses on my way.

Later I made inquiries about the course of events. I learned from our allotment neighbor – I don’t remember his surname, but I will try to determine it and notify Citizen Judge – that shortly past 6.00 p.m. a shooting broke out in Pole Mokotowskie. Several dozen German soldiers chased a fleeing man in a light-colored overcoat, who allegedly took refuge on the premises of the Military Hospital at 6 Sierpnia Street. That man had run past my husband and the witness who told me about that a few minutes before the military men arrived. When they came, the soldiers searched my husband and our allotment neighbor for weapons. They didn’t find any, of course, and then they ran on. When the shooting ceased, our allotment neighbor went in the direction of aleja Niepodległości, and my husband headed home, that is towards 6 Sierpnia Street, walking along the road among the allotments. This is all I’ve learned from that neighbor of ours.

I learned what happened next from another allotment gardener, whose surname I don’t know either and won’t be able to determine, as I don’t have any contact with him. He told me that he had seen my husband walk in the direction of 6 Sierpnia Street along the road among the allotments, and that suddenly a shot had been fired and my husband had fallen to the ground. At that time, the Germans ran up to him, ordered him to put his hands up, and beat him about the head. Then they took him to aleja Piłsudskiego and told him to lie down. That was all the gardener saw from his allotment.

At that time and prior to it, there was a fierce shooting in Pole Moktowskie and aleja Piłsudskiego. When it was passing over the fields, all the allotment gardeners lay on the ground.

I was told, but I don’t remember by whom, that 18 people were executed there. I learned about the subsequent fate of my husband from a veterinary physician, whose surname I don’t know as well but which I’ll be able to determine and notify Citizen Judge about it in the near future. He told me that he was lying on the pavement in aleja Piłsudskiego opposite my husband, and that he witnessed how a black limousine arrived. Three Germans got out of it, came up to my husband and apparently ordered him to get up. My husband got up, the Germans said something to him and one of them shot my husband in the head with a revolver; my husband died instantly. My husband was wearing a light-colored overcoat.

During these events, Jerzy Przetakiewicz, who was wearing a light-colored overcoat as well, was also shot dead at the corner of Wawelska Street and aleja Niepodległości. The father of the murdered man, Dr. Henryk Przetakiewicz, works in the municipal baths in Roma in Warsaw; the sister of the murdered man, Maria Przetakiewicz, was the one who found the body of her brother. Two more people were executed during these events: Gepfert (I don’t know his name, maybe it was Jerzy), whose family lived at Mokotowska Street 11, and Bolesław Kałużyński, whose father lived at 6 Sierpnia Street 32 before the Uprising. Zubrzycki, chairman of the association of allotment owners for Mokotów-Północ region, was present at the allotments during these events (I know neither his current address nor name and don’t know his present fate).

I collected my husband’s body from the morgue and buried him in the Powązki Cemetery.

Some of the above-described events were witnessed by citizen Maria Żukowska (residing at Kielecka Street 21, flat 3). Many details concerning the event could be provided by the residents of the house at Lekarska Street 6, as six people were executed on the corner of Wawelska and Lekarska Streets, now marked with a memorial cross.

The report was read out.