Warsaw, 2 April 1946. Judge St. Rybiński, delegated to the Commission for the Investigation of German Crimes, interviewed the person named below as a witness. Having advised the witness of the criminal liability and of the significance of the oath, the judge swore in the witness.

The witness testified as follows:

Name and surname Ewa Celler née Nałęczowska
Names of parents Andrzej and Julia née Żurawska
Date of birth 4 January 1895
Occupation Homemaker
Education six years of middle school [gimnazjum]
Place of residence Warsaw, Przybyszewskiego Street 63/67
Religious affiliation Roman Catholic
Criminal record none

I have lived at the address I have provided for a number of years. When the war broke out in 1939, I was living there with my husband and my son Zdzisław Jan Celler, born on 27 December 1920, the only son left me after the death of my other children.

My son graduated from Konarski Middle School in 1941. From September 1940 to 2 April 1941, he was in the camp at Auschwitz, where he was taken when going to school by tram. The school put in a good word for him, especially one of the professors. He was released and finished school. Afterwards, he did not hold any official work but devoted himself to work in an underground organization, lately even in a liquidation unit. He fought against the German occupiers all the time.

On 3 November 1943, my son went to the Klawy factory on Karolkowa Street to talk to a Werkschutz man, who was reportedly a Pole. By the factory, my son met with another Pole, the Werkschutz man’s cousin, and started talking to him. At that moment, Gestapo men arrived at the factory, checked both of their IDs, released the man who later told me about this, ordered my son to get into the car, and drove away.

I did not receive any message from my son, nor did I bring him any packages, because I deluded myself with the hope that the middlewoman, through whom Konarski School had managed to get him out [of the camp], would succeed again in obtaining his release. I visited this middlewoman (I do not remember the name). She lived on Koszykowa Street (I do not remember the house number either). She said that she received Gestapo men at her home and that she could try to get him released. She made me pay for the Gestapo men’s dinners three times. She promised that within six days they would bring him home. Eventually, she accomplished nothing.

On 12 November 1943, a list of people executed was published on the streets of Warsaw, on which, among others, was the surname of my son. I did not receive any other message about my son. His things were not returned to me either.

On 12 November 1943, there were two executions: in Praga on Kępna Street (a slaughterhouse) and on Nowy Świat Street. I do not know where my son was executed.

I later learned that the woman, the middlewoman, who was still deluding me with promises that my son would return, was shot dead by members of the organization in her own flat on 6 May 1944.

At that the report was concluded and read out.

The following day after the arrest of my son Gestapo agents came to our flat and conducted an inspection lasting an hour and 15 minutes. Neither I nor my husband were at home at the time. They robbed us during the inspection. My husband took part in the uprising as an officer of the Home Army and was deported to Germany. He was in a camp in Murnau. Hestill has not returned home, and is supposedly in Bavaria.

Read out.