Piaseczno, 13 March 1946. Judge M. Borzęcki interviewed the person named below as a witness. The witness was advised of the criminal liability for making false declarations, of the obligation to speak the truth, and the significance of the oath. The judge took an oath from the witness, who then testified as follows:

Name and surname Zygmunt Tołtyżewski
Parents’ names Józef and Felicja
Age 59
Place of residence Piaseczno, Świętojańska Street 17
Occupation official at the Ministry of Industry
Religious affiliation Roman Catholic
Criminal record none
Relationship to the parties none

I know that on 10 September 1939, at about 6 or 7 a.m., the late notary Marian Ostrowski was shot dead in Piaseczno by a German soldier as we were running back to the apartment of Dr. Jaszczołt, after being questioned by a German commandant in Piaseczno. Notary Ostrowski was hit in the back of the head and collapsed dead on the spot, between the garden of the parish priest of Piaseczno and the property of Dr. Jaszczołt. Marian Ostrowski’s body was buried in the place where he collapsed, and then it was exhumed in the same year – I believe in November – and buried at a local cemetery.

After notary Ostrowski was shot, I myself continued running and I burst into the house of Dr. Jaszczołt together with German soldiers. Inside, they asked me who had shot from that house and told me that there must be weapons there.

I would like to point out that before the interrogation, both notary Ostrowski and I had been taken from the house of Dr. Jaszczołt for interrogation to the German commandant in Piaseczno. As soon as they entered Dr. Jaszczołt’s house, the German soldiers started a very superficial search for weapons, but they didn’t find anything. Then, they took me to the office and they told me to start a fire, but I said no. Then, one of the soldiers lit a match, grabbed me by my right hand with the hand in which he was holding the lit match, and set the curtains on fire, looking at me. The German soldiers immediately ran out of the building, leaving me alone. The fire started to spread, so I jumped into the kitchen, where I found a bunch of dry straw, already burning, on the entrance stairs. I managed to jump out of the building, but then they caught me again and told me to go with them to Fabryczna Street in Piaseczno, where, as they suspected, shots had been fired from one of the houses. The house of Dr. Jaszczołt burned to the ground. This was on 10 September 1939 at about 7.00-7.30 a.m.

We were arrested and the house of Dr. Jaszczołt was burnt after the fighting had ended, when the streets of the city were already quiet. In my presence, at Fabryczna Street, another man was shot – I believe he was called Białobrodzki. Pigsties on his property were burned down along with livestock. This all took place after the fighting had ended, as part of repressive measures against the civilian population. Then, I was escorted to Warszawska Street, where many Jews were gathered, and we were all ordered to clean up the corpses of humans and horses.

I would like to emphasize that before all of this happened, regular fighting between the troops of the Polish and German armies had taken place, and all the repressive measures were employed by the German commandant on his own. During the interrogation, we were both searched and our money was taken away. I didn’t have much, maybe around 300 zlotys, but notary Ostrowski lost a lot of money and securities.

It is possible that the Zaręba family from Piaseczno (Puławska Street 18) also saw notary Ostrowski being shot and Dr. Jaszczołt’s house burn down.

The report was read out.