In Suchedniów on this day, 19 July 1948, at 3.00 p.m., I, officer Wacław Smolarczyk from the Citizens’ Militia Station in Suchedniów, acting under Article 20 of the provisions introducing the Code of Criminal Procedure, on the instruction of citizen Deputy Prosecutor from the Region of the Prosecutor’s Office of the District Court, issued on the basis of Article 20 of the provisions introducing the Code of Criminal Procedure, observing the formal requirements set forward in Articles 235–240, 258 and 259 of the Code of Criminal Procedure, with the participation of reporter, officer Jan Wójcik, whom I have informed of the obligation to attest to the conformity of the report with the actual course of the procedure by his own signature, have heard the person named below as a witness. Having been advised of the right to refuse to testify for the reasons set forward in Article 104 of the CCP and of the criminal liability for making false declarations, pursuant to Article 140 of the Penal Code, the witness testified as follows:

Name and surname Władysław Dziuban
Parents’ names Stanisław and Weronika, née Bajorek
Age 39 years old
Date and place of birth 7 June 1909 in Olszyny, Gorlice district
Religious affiliation Roman Catholic
Occupation shoemaker
Place of residence Suchedniów, Bankowa Street 42
Relationship to the parties none

With regard to the matter at hand I can provide the following information: From 1931 to 1945 I worked as a janitor at the vocational school in Suchedniów, living in the school grounds.

During the occupation the German flying squad was lodged in the school. It was a punitive unit that moved around, attacking partisans, persecuting Jews and burning villages.

I remember that in March 1943 the German gendarmerie brought 7 men in a car from Zalesianka, Suchedniów commune. I don’t know their names. I knew that the men had suffered brutal torture and once they were here it took about half an hour before the Germans took the prisoners with them. I also remember that I issued the Germans with shovels to be used for digging pits for the men whom they took to the woods, at a distance of about 800 meters from Suchedniów. There the men, each of whom had been given a shovel still in the courtyard of the school, was ordered to dig a grave for himself and for the others. Then they were executed and buried in the common grave.

All I know is that these German gendarmes, none of whom I knew, whose names I can’t give, of whom I was also afraid and who didn’t want to talk to anybody, were about fifty in number. Besides, they stayed in the school only two weeks, after which time they left and never returned. I don’t know where they went off to.

I have testified all I know. The report was read out and signed.