Warsaw, 6 November 1947. The member of the District Commission for the Investigation of German Crimes acting as judge, Halina Wereńko, interviewed the person specified below as an unsworn witness. Having been advised of the criminal liability for making false declarations, the witness testified as follows:

Name and surname Seweryn Andrzejewski
Names of parents Engelbert and Malwina née Czerniewska
Date of birth 15 November 1880, Telsze, Lithuania
Religious affiliation Evangelical Reformed
Place of residence Warsaw, Chałubińskiego Street 4
National and state affiliation Polish
Education transportation engineer
Occupation head of the Transportation Council in the Ministry of Transportation

During the Warsaw Uprising, I lived in a block of the Housing Cooperative of Transportation Engineers on Adama Pługa Street 1/3. From 1 August 1944, I remained mostly in the basement of the house and, having a small field of view, I was not oriented towards the course of the insurgent action. The nearest center of insurgent resistance was on Wawelska Street 60.

The German soldiers came to our house for the first time on 5 or 6 August (I don’t remember the date exactly), to lead us out. The unit consisted of “Ukrainians” from Kaminski’s brigade; it stormed into the yard before midday and started shooting in the direction of the house at Mianowskiego Street 15. At the same time, there was an order to leave the flats and the basements. The civilian population exiting was inspected in the gate to the house. Valuables, watches were taken away, they did not spare us pushes and shouts. I later learned that engineer Krukowski and a former officer of the Russian Army had been killed by the “Ukrainians” in a basement, because they had remained there despite the order to exit. After the inspection, our group was led along Mochnackiego Street and Grójecka Street to the Zieleniak marketplace. On the way, groups of “Ukrainians”, usually drunk, wandering around streets, were depriving the people passing by of the remains of their possessions. We met the civilian population, numbering several thousands, at Zieleniak, mostly from Ochota. I heard that some groups had been staying there already since 3 August.

I didn’t see German officers at Zieleniak, apart from one instance, when some general arrived, as they said - Kaminski. I was told that he had told the gathered people that “it would be best both for us, and for you, to execute you all, but there are too many of you”.

Everybody stayed under the open sky at Zieleniak, the nearest tap with water was located on the other side of Grójecka Street, where the “Ukrainians” let people go only one at a time. On 6 August, the tap stopped working, the water ran out. Provisioning at Zieleniak was disorganized, once a couple of cows were brought, which were killed, and the people rushed to tear at the meat, for which a regular fight took place; a few people were allowed to dig out potatoes on neighboring allotments. The gathered population was lacking food. There was no sanitary help. I saw a few newborns who were born in terribly unsanitary conditions in the area of Zieleniak. The people were packed onto the unpaved part of the square, and the newly arrived groups added to the crowd. On 7 or 8 August, everybody was lying side by side, so that only a small path was left for the guards. On the unoccupied half of Zieleniak, groups of foreign nationalities, that is, Russians and Germans, were formed. On 8 August, in the evening, I managed to join such a group with a few Poles and to leave with it. We were led out to Okęcie, and then to Pruszków, from which we were deported to Łowicz by train. A transport of Poles staying at Zieleniak, I presume, left on the next day after our departure.

At this the report was concluded and read out.