Warsaw, 30 January 1946. Investigating Judge Alicja Germasz, delegated to the Commission for the Investigation of German Crimes in Poland, heard the person named below as a witness. Having been advised of the criminal liability for making false declarations and of the significance of the oath, the witness was sworn and testified as follows:

Name and surname Halina Prawdzic-Leyman
Date of birth 8 October 1908
Parents’ names Gustaw and Anna
Occupation canteen chief at the Wawelberg School
Education six grades of secondary school and the Economy School in Chyliczki
Religious affiliation Roman Catholic
Place of residence Warsaw, aleja Niepodległości 132, flat 69
Criminal record none

During the first days of the Warsaw Uprising, I was with my family in the Wawelberg School at Mokotowska Street 6. On 5 August 1944, about noon, a “Tiger” [tank] arrived at the corner of Polna and Mokotowska streets and began shelling Mokotowska Street. I, along with my father, mother, my 14-year-old son and several other people left the house at that point and got through the garden to the house at Marszałkowska Street 33. We had barely entered the yard when Germans stormed in. Behaving calmly, they ordered everyone in the yard and in the flats to leave the house immediately. They led us all, several dozen people, along Marszałkowska Street in the direction of Litewska Street. All the houses in that part of Marszałkowska Street were in flames. On the corner of Litewska Street, the men were separated from the women. The men stayed at the corner of Litewska Street (my 14-year-old son was assigned to the group of men).

We, the women, were led along Litewska Street to aleja Szucha. Other groups of women joined us on Litewska Street. We were all placed in the square opposite the garrison casino. When we arrived, we saw that a great number of women had already been gathered there. We remained there until around 6.00 p.m. During that time, new groups continued to arrive. In total, I think that several thousand women were gathered there.

As we stood in the square, I saw numerous groups of men being led to the Gestapo HQ, and I recognized among them the principal of the Wawelberg School, Adam Bedyński, who had previously been with us at Mokotowska Street 6. An acquaintance of mine, who was standing next to me, noticed my husband, father and son among them. Then all the women were taken to the Gestapo HQ yard where we stood in a dense crowd until the following morning. There was a German in each window of the building with a rife pointed at us. In the morning all the women were released.

I would like to add that to this day, nobody has heard from any of the men who were taken from Mokotowska Street 6 and Marszałkowska Street 33.

During an exhumation carried out in aleja Piłsudskiego on the corner of Marszałkowska Street I recognized the bodies of my father and husband based on the identity papers which they had on them.

The report was read out.