15 March 1946, Warsaw. Investigative Judge Halina Wereńko, assigned to sit on the Commission for the Investigation of German Crimes, Warsaw City, interviewed the person named below as a witness. After advising the witness of the legal liability for making false statements and of the significance of the oath, the judge swore the witness. The witness testified as follows:

Name and Surname Feliks Aleksander Grabowski
Parents’ names Józef, Marianna, née Nowicka
Date of birth 17 May in Kominskoye (Russia)
Occupation Employee of the City Management
Education Two grades of gymnasium
Place of residence Warsaw Mokotów, Bałuckiego 19, Flat 4
Religious affiliation Roman Catholic
During the uprising I lived at P łocka Street 25 flat 51 in Warsaw. As the uprising broke out,

I was at the City Hall. It was not until 4 August 1944 that I managed to get back home. My wife was not there. I learned that on 3 August 1944 German soldiers had escorted her and the other house residents who responded to the German calls to come out of the house to St. Adalbert’s Church on Wolska Street. I sent her a message that I was back home and on the following day, 5 August 1944, she returned there too.

Two hours after her return, armed German soldiers burst into the courtyard, threw grenades into the first floor apartment and shouted for all to come out of the house. Sowińska, one of the tenants, was wounded by grenade shrapnel as she was running into the toilet. Looking from the window on the fourth floor, I saw a “Ukrainian” non-commissioned officer finish her off with a shot from his revolver. He was shouting in Russian or Ukrainian. I failed to recognize his rank.

The house was ablaze. My wife and other women and children went down into the courtyard. I and a few other men stayed in order to extinguish the fire. Realizing that the fire was impossible to extinguish, I ran into the basement where I met Kucharzewski. As the house was engulfed in flames, the soldiers were not looking for us in the basement. When the women were near the gate I heard shots. Later I saw the dead bodies of the Tuliks, Szczepańska, and her daughter lying on the stairs. There were about eight bodies of people who had been led out of our house lying in the gate. Except for Szczepańska’s daughter, I do not remember their names. More than twenty dead bodies were found in the courtyard of the house at no. 27. I recognized my wife and some of the other residents of our house whose names I don’t remember. A significant number of those whom the Germans had ordered to come out into the street were executed in front of the wall of the house. I also saw a dead body lying in the courtyard of the house at Płocka Street 23. When the Germans stormed into our courtyard and told everyone to come out, I was on the fourth floor of our house. From the window giving onto the house at Płocka Street 23 I observed the execution of that house’s inhabitants. German soldiers (I failed to recognize the unit) lined women up near the janitor’s house; men were ranged a little further away (several dozen in number). Then they robbed all these people of their valuables, pulled a cart with a machine gun set up on it into the middle of the courtyard and started shooting. Stanisław Biernacki survived the execution. He later arrived in our basement. A few days after the execution the dead bodies were burnt by a number of male civilians employed by the Germans. From the area of the houses at no. 25 and no. 27 laborers brought dead bodies in the direction of the factory ”Ursus”. I also saw a pile of dead bodies burning in the grounds of the Jabbs workshop.

I heard that on 5 August 1944 people living on Płocka Street were executed in the grounds of the pasta factory (Wolska 60). Jan Pec (he lives at Płocka 31) and Franciszek Szymański (I don’t know his address) managed to flee from the execution. Karol Kucharzewski, Jan Mesner (Priszków, Żbikowska Street), Rajza and his daughter, Mieczysław Uzdowski and Tulik (I don’t know his current address) hid with me in the basement at Płocka 25. Uzdowski is employed by the City Transport Company. Janina Rajza works in architecture at the Western Railway Station in Warsaw. She lives in Marymont.

I left Warsaw on 4 December 1944 after joining a group of laborers employed to dig trenches.

At this the report was concluded and read out.